[maker-devel] Maker annotation small DNA fragments

Carson Holt carsonhh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:53:32 MDT 2018

The fragments you are looking at are likely too small to annotate with MAKER. MAKER is more for assembly annotation. The gene predictors used will need a few hundred bp of lead in sequence before each gene to seed the HMM as well as complete intron/exon structure which you will not have in fragments that are only 180 to 600 bp. MAKER will create a separate work directory for each contig so that the programs MAKER calls can work independently on each without files colliding (that is how MAKER can scale to several hundred CPUs when ran in parallel via MPI for example).

—Carson