[maker-devel] MPI selection

admin at genome.arizona.edu admin at genome.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 29 16:08:54 MST 2018

Hi, we have now three versions of MPI installed on our cluster, OpenMPI,
MPICH, and MVAPICH2.  Since we have infiniband, the MVAPICH2 is working
best with MPI test programs.  MPICH should support infiniband too but
currently there are some seg faults with that we are trying to resolve.

On our cluster we have ~/.mpi-selection file which allows users to pick
the MPI installation to use, and sets appropriate PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables.

I am looking through the Maker MPI instructions, and it seems that a
certain mpicc and mpi.h must be chosen during installation.  So if
originally, Maker was installed with MPICH, then would I have to
reinstall it if users want to use MVAPICH2?  Or is there config file
somewhere I can update so I don't have to reinstall Maker?  Or does
nothing need to be done and we can rely on PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variables pointing to correct mpicc and libmpi.so (mpi.h is in include
directory)?

Thanks