[maker-devel] MPI selection

Carson Holt carsonhh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 10:37:59 MST 2018

MAKER does not really move a lot of data with MPI, it’s just moving around command lines and small variables. So not getting full infiniband performance will not hurt you. I doubt you see any issues using ib0. For MPI flavor, I get the best performance with Intel MPI followed by OpenMPI. Overall you will find that MAKER is IO bound as opposed to CPU or communications bound. So pointing it at your best performing network based storage will be the greatest performance factor (if you have Lustre storage, point it there for example). Pull back on job size and count if other users have issues accessing the disk (too many jobs can bring NFS to it’s knees). The one suggestion I have as far as job size, it to keep jobs sizes under 200 CPU cores. Over that, you will get better performance by splitting up datasets and submitting multiple job. Also MAKER keeps a log of it’s progress, so you can kill jobs or restart failed jobs, and they pick up right where they left off.

—Carson